Harbin Jewish History Tour
Did you know that Harbin was once home to one of the largest Jewish populations in the Far East, totaling more than 20,000 at its peak in the 1920s? Explore famous sites and learn about Harbin’s unique Jewish history on this tour.
Start out by visiting the Harbin New Synagogue, home to the Harbin Jewish History and Culture Exhibition, a museum that details the history of Jews in Harbin. The museum tells a comprehensive story of Jewish life in 20th century Harbin and is a must-see for anyone interested in Jewish history.
Next, we will walk to Central Street (Zhongyang Dajie), a pedestrian street lined with historical buildings, restaurants and shops. As we stroll down Central Street, we’ll guide you through the stories behind it’s historical buildings, many of which were owned by Harbin Jews, stopping along the way to warm up with some of Harbin’s tastiest specialty snacks.
From there, we will visit the Saint Sophia Church, a Russian Orthodox church built in 1907. Admire the church’s architecture before learning about Harbin’s history in the church’s museum. Since the museum lacks English captioning for most of it’s photos, we will act as your translators, introducing you to Harbin’s history.
After exploring Saint Sophia, we’ll warm up with a hot meal of Chun Bing, crepe-like pancakes that you can fill with anything you choose, including vegetables, eggs, meat and tofu. A Northeast Chinese specialty!
- Private Tour
- Learn about Jewish history at the Harbin New Synagogue
- Visit Saint Sophia Church, a red-brick Russian Orthodox Church
- Explore the historic architecture of Central Street, Harbin’s beautiful pedestrian street
- Browse the stores along Central Street selling Russian imports and souvenirs
- Sample some of Harbin’s tastiest local specialties from the places locals go
- Enjoy a meal of Northeast China’s specialty Chun Bing, a crepe-like pancake filled with meat, eggs, vegetables and tofu of your choice
- 600 RMB per person
- Children under 1.2 meters: 300 RMB
- Children under 3 years: Free
- Combine with one of our other tours and save 100 RMB per person!
- Two guides–a Harbin native and an American expat. Local perspective with no language barrier!
- All entrance tickets
- A sampling of traditional local snacks
- A delicious meal of Chun Bing, a local specialty
What to Bring:
- Warm clothes in winter! Harbin gets COLD. We’ll be outside most of the time, so make sure you’re bundled up so you can fully enjoy this walking tour
- Money to shop at the stores along Central Street, or participate in ice activities on the Songhua River
How to Sign Up:
Email us at email@example.com. Let us know when you want to go and how many people are in your group and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours!